How to Organize Your Prayer Life
By: Gina Garland
You’ll need a special prayer notebook/binder. You can use a small 7 !” x 9” 3-ring binder or a regular size binder. Use dividers and/or page protectors and label each one according to which sections you want to include. You’ll also need paper to fit (you can cut paper to size as well). Use the following as a guide, but please adjust and change it to make it more personal for your life, unique circumstances, and relationship with God. The following information will guide you in setting up your own personal prayer notebook.
Daily Prayers 1st Half of Binder
Section 1: ALMIGHTY GOD
*Start your prayer time off with worship. Include song lyrics or write/read a Psalm. The point is to ready your heart and focus your mind on Him. (examples are listed on page 16) *Your love section to God and for God without using “I” or “me”...write “You Lord....” Examples:
- You are my King - You are my Creator - You are my Father - You are my Counselor - You have made all beautiful things (maybe list beautiful things in creation that you have
experienced) - You are huge – my mind cannot comprehend your power - You hold the universe in your hands - You are: omnipotent (all-powerful), omnipresent (everywhere), omniscient (all-knowing),
immutable (unchanging), eternal (everlasting), love (hesed (OT) and agape (NT)) *Write your praises to God and list characteristics of God that are special to you *Tell God of your love for Him and your desire to know Him. *Include any significant prayers, poems, scripture, or quotes
*Pause for a moment to quiet your heart and mind and just listen (I write the word “Pause and
Listen” on a page to remind me)
Section 2: MYSELF
*Ask Him to examine your heart and reveal your sinful ways *Confess those sins and ask Him to rule in your heart and life *Confess total weakness and sinfulness and confess your need for God *Acknowledge your desire to be dead to self and alive in Jesus *Ask Him to help you take your eyes off yourself and on to Him
*Pray that God’s will be done in your life today, not your own will *Ask God to help you listen for His voice/guidance and show you how He would like to use you today *Surrender the inmost places of your heart and mind to Him, which is the essence of Godliness *Ask God to use you as a tool to spread the Gospel to non-believers and be an example and encouragement to fellow Christians *Ask God to protect you from things that keep you from having a gentle and quiet spirit: unconfessed sin, unforgiving spirit, neglecting responsibilities, anxiety, anger, self-centeredness, physical disorders, fatigue *Petition God for the following: to be drawn closer to Him, direction to His will, Woman of God’s word, to be a Woman of Prayer, help to live a life above reproach, wholehearted devotion, wisdom, knowledge, discernment, intuition, servant’s heart, discipline, self-control, fruit of the spirit to be present in your life, attitude of gratitude, wise with time and money, discipline and self-control with exercise and nutrition, thoughtful of others, compassionate, desire to see lost people come to know Jesus, giving of self (time, money, possessions, spiritual gifts, other talents), energy, strength, courage, boldness, compassion, sensitive to sin and quick to repent, to accept God’s rest and not fill that special time with other things to do, to know Him more and more, remember and keep priorities straight, to be pure in mind and heart, to be humble, diligence, good health *Thank God for His gift of salvation
Each of the following sub-sections (within section 2) deal with roles that you currently fulfill. Adjust the list and add new prayer needs that apply to your personal circumstances involved with
~ WIFE ~
* Praise God for the gift of your husband * To put God first in your life and your marriage * Godliness – to be a woman of excellence; of noble character (Prov. 12:4; 18:22; 19:14; 31:10-31) * To be an encouragement to your husband in regards to his relationship with God and his role as the spiritual leader of your marriage/home/family * Sincere and growing love for your husband; modeled after God’s love for him! * T o be submissive to your husband * To seek your husband’s guidance on decisions to be made and always allow him to be the final authority * To be obedient to your husband as you rest securely that God’s plan for his role as man is to be a leader for you
* T o be faithful in your marriage commitment * To be faithful in prayer for your husband * T o be a constant joy and encouragement * A servant’s heart; always putting his needs and desires before your own * To make a godly home
* T o be a good cook...willing to learn * T o be there for your husband when he needs an ear to listen, comfort, and to be held * to fulfill your husband’s physical needs/desires * Not to be quarrelsome (Prov. 21:9, 19; 27: 15) * T o always be honest and willing to talk about tough issues * T o be vulnerable and give your husband your complete trust * Thoughtfulness – to do creative, special, and encouraging things for your husband * To be polite and well-mannered * To be thankful and show your husband how much you appreciate him * Do not complain * To have a good relationship with your mother-in-law and other in-laws * To be prudent (Prov. 19:14) * To be his crown jewel (Prov. 12:4)
MOM ~ * Request God’s help in specific ways that would help you be the best parent possible.
* Praise God for the gift of your children * Pray for the salvation of each child * Direction and wisdom in training your children to be godly * T o be committed to disciple your children in the way of the Lord so when they are older they will not turn from it (Prov. 22:6) (Yes, they are our disciples) * Diligence to teach your children God’s Word * The ability to be calm in the midst of your children’s storms * To be committed to faithfully pray for and with your children * To make a godly and loving home for your children to grow-up in * For God to bless you financially so you can stay home as much as possible * T o be consistent and firm in disciplining your children because you love them and it is of their best interest * Pray for unity of parental decisions. * Eyes for teachable moments * T o be perceptive and able to recognize individual needs among your children * To have sharp antennas in order to catch your children early on making poor choices so you can correct the behavior
* Showing God’s love and patience * To be a godly example * To teach them the secret of a great life: To become a servant, to deny yourself, pick up the cross, and follow Him (Mark 10:43-44; Matt. 16:24-26) * To be an encouragement for your husband to spend quality time with the children and fulfill his fatherly role that God has called him to * To recognize the importance of grandparents and the significant role that they should have in raising your children *To arrange quality time for your children to spend with them * T o be a good listener when your parents are sharing parental wisdom and guidance with you
~ DAUGHTER /DAUGHTER-IN-LAW ~ Request God’s help in specific ways that you know you need to work on to be the best family member possible. Remember: Godliness, servant’s heart, thoughtfulness, sincere love, giving, sensitivity, words of encouragement, not to complain but to be a joy to your family, submissive
attitude, think of others before yourself.
~ SISTER ~ As a sibling remember: showing God’s love and patience, thoughtful, self-control, sharing, caring,
wisdom to do the right thing, not jealous or easily angered, etc.
~ FRIEND ~
* Praise God for girl friendships * Pray for honesty in your relationships * Pray that your friendships do not take priority over your family, home caretaking, or as your role as a wife * Pray that you keep your priorities and keep balance * Pray to be an encouragement to your friends * Ask God to give you wisdom in choosing a couple close friends that love the Lord so that you can spur one another on toward godliness * Pray for the ability to spend quality time together * Pray that your husband will respect your friendships
~ STUDENT ~ * Praise God for the opportunity to go to school and be educated
* Pray for good time management * T o maintain a positive attitude about learning in school and not just trying to make the grade * To learn things that God can use for His glory * To be an example of God’s love in a public school setting
* Courage to stand up for your beliefs in discussions with peers and teachers * T o be on-time to class and complete homework assignments on-time * To be an honest student * To seek God’s guidance on your future education at a college and/or career
~ EMPLOYEE ~ * To be a hard worker and a blessing to your employer
* To maintain a positive relationship with your boss and fellow employees * T o be a godly example to those you work with * Pray for boldness, courage, and sensitivity to take a stand for Jesus and all that you believe * That you will not take part in coarse joking, foolish talk, and gossip * T o be committed to pray for the needs of those you work with, especially the salvation of those who are not believers * If possible, not to put work or career before your family * To be careful with opposite sex relationships and not cross boundaries or engage in flirting * To be conscientious of how you dress
~ SERVANT ~ (Sunday School teacher, worship leader, youth leadership, Children’s ministry, hospitality,
discipleship/small group leader, tech, behind the scenes and up front ministries) * Praise God for the opportunity to serve him in your particular ministry * To maintain a servant’s heart * To rely on God’s strength and guidance alone, not your own weak skills, abilities, and knowledge * T o be a godly example and encouragement to those you are serving with – to maintain a good relationship with fellow servants
* Pray for specific needs related to your ministry * To be faithful to pray for your ministry
~SPECIAL PRAYER NEEDS and REQUESTS for ~ YOURSELF * Determine your needs and desires and give them up to God. * Whatever you are going through at
different times in your life * Go ahead and put your desires down too; you never know when God will choose to bless you above and beyond your needs * Keep a dated record of your specific needs. It is helpful to make boxes before each need and check them off as prayers are answered by God * It is great to be consistent in recording God’s answers to each prayer request that is answered. It is helpful to write requests in one color and answers in another. This enables you to go back and spend some time in thanksgiving and praise for what God is doing in your life! It also gives hope when in the midst of crises * You can also leave this section for personal journaling or letters to God
Section 3: SPOUSE
* Praise God for the gift of your husband and list all of his qualities that you are thankful for * Pray for your husband’s love and devotion to God * If your husband is not a believer...pray for his salvation! * Pray that he will spend quality time with God each day, allowing God to shape him into the godly man God has called him to be
* Pray that he will be committed to study, memorize, and apply the Word of God on a daily basis * Pray for his spiritual growth * Pray that he will maintain a consistent prayer life * Pray that he will constantly be seeking God’s will for his life and your marriage
* Pray that God will teach him new things daily * Pray that God will give him wisdom and discernment in every decision he makes throughout the day * Pray that God will protect your husband from the evil of the world and keep him strong and focused on Christ when faced with physical, emotional, and spiritual temptations * Pray that he will be strong in the midst of warfare * Pray that God will give him wisdom and direction as he takes on the responsibility of being the spiritual leader of your marriage, as God has designed his role * Pray that he will be an example, above reproach, of God’s love while he is at work, participating in ministry, or doing other activities * Pray that he will have extraordinary patience and longsuffering for your children
* Pray for wisdom on your husband’s part on how to best discipline and train up your children * Make a list from Stormie Omartian’s book, “The Power of a Praying Wife” and pray for each thing (there’re 30 things)
~SPECIAL PRAYER NEEDS and REQUESTS for ~ your SPOUSE
* Pray for specific needs and struggles in his life. It is good to design this section in the same manner as your own personal prayer needs section.
Section 4: MARRIAGE
* Praise God for providing a godly husband for you! * Pray that God will help you both keep Him as the center and focus of your marriage * Pray that your marriage would bring glory to God * Pray that God would protect your marriage and draw you closer to each other * Pray that God will lead you both to His perfect will for your lives together and how you can serve Him best, possibly even together! * Pray for growth in your individual and joint spiritual lives * Pray that God will help you both to be consistent spending time studying the Bible and praying together * Pray that God will enable you both to be faithful to your commitment to love and serve one another * Ask God to help you fulfill your roles of husband and wife as He has designed them and explained them to you in His Word * Pray for your friendship and good communication * Pray for openness, forgiveness, understanding, patience, unconditional love, submissive attitudes, and humility...important qualities for each spouse to possess * Pray for health * Pray for unity and wisdom in parental decisions * Ask God to rekindle or fan your flame and passion for each other. Follow this up by making time to spend together * Pray that you both will feel the same about having more children or not
~SPECIAL PRAYER NEEDS and REQUESTS for ~ your MARRIAGE
* Pray for specific needs and struggles in your marriage. It is good to design this section in the same manner as your own personal prayer needs section.
Section 5: CHILDREN
* Praise God for the gift of your children * Pray that your children will come to know Jesus the first time they realize a need for a Savior * Pray for a tender heart * Pray for a desire to want to please and obey authority * Pray for angels of protection all around them * Pray for peace, love, and comfort * Pray for confidence and a sense of security in your home * Pray for knowledge of how special they are to God and you * Pray for good sleep and nutrition * Pray for kindness to others * Pray for a willingness to share (selfless attitude) * Pray for first time obedience * Pray for hunger and love for God’s Word * Pray for friendships with siblings * Pray for them to be a godly leader one day * Pray for eyes and a heart devoted to Christ * Pray for protection from evil traps in this world * Pray for the ability to make wise choices and to remember and apply what they’ve learned from you * Pray for the ability to make and the discernment to choose good friends who are believers (Not all friends should be believers...just a couple of their closest most influential friends) * Pray for a close relationship with you as they grow up * Pray for wise schooling choices * Pray for your child’s future mate
~SPECIAL PRAYER NEEDS and REQUESTS for ~ your CHILDREN
* Pray for specific needs and struggles for your children. It is good to design this section in the same manner as your own personal prayer needs section.
Section 6: PARENTS Thank God for them and pray for specific needs in their lives.
Once a Week Prayers 2nd Half of Binder
This section is used for other people who are not in your immediate family that you will pray for on a weekly basis, not daily like the previous sections. List specific people by name and pray for specific needs in their lives. Leave room to write in the answered prayer. Here are some suggestions for whom to pray for, but whatever is closest to your heart is what you should list. Include the weekends if you are able to be consistent.
Use page protectors as dividers and put in a printed sheet with a picture you like or scrapbook style so you can see actual pictures of people you’re praying for.
Monday ~ FAMILY MEMBERS
Tuesday ~ CHRISTIAN FRIENDS
Wednesday ~ NON-CHRISTIAN FRIENDS
Thursday ~ CHURCH LEADERS/MEMBERS/TEACHERS and MISSIONARIES
Friday ~ GOV’T LEADERS and THE PRESIDENT
Extras Examples of Praise and Worship Psalms found in Psalms:
33 63 84 92 ************************************************************************* A few examples of worship songs...you can google the lyrics: “Lord I Give You My Heart”
93 111 139 148 95 113 145 149 96 117 146 150 100 136 147
“Your Love Oh Lord” “Stir In Me” “Better than Life” ************************************************************************* Inspirational blogs:
http://inspiredtoaction.com - free ebook, “How to Maximize Your Mornings”
http://www.aholyexperience.com http://womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com/ http://www.incourage.me/ ************************************************************************* A few Inspirational Books:
The Hour that Changes the World by: Dick Eastman The Holy Spirit by: Billy Graham Crazy Love and Forgotten God by: Francis Chan Lord, Help Me Grow Spiritually Strong in 28 Days by: Kay Arthur
At Your Feet by Casting Crowns
Here at Your feet, I lay my past down My wanderings, all my mistakes down And I am free
Here at Your feet, I lay this day down Not in my strength but in Yours I’ve found All I need, You’re all I need
Chorus: Jesus, Jesus, at Your feet Oh, to dwell and never leave Jesus, Jesus, at Your feet There is nowhere else for me There is nowhere else for me
Here at Your feet, I lay my future down All of my dreams, I give to You now And I find peace, I find peace
Here at Your feet, I lay my life down For You my King, You’re all I want now And my soul sings
‘Cause I am free (Here at Your feet)
All I need (Is at Your feet)
I find peace We’re at Your feet We’re at Your feet
And I am free (Here at Your feet)
All I need (Is at Your feet)
I find peace
We’re at Your feet We’re at Your feet We’re at Your feet We’re at Your feet
Here at Your feet I lay my life down
Plan a Mini-Prayer Retreat
Schedule a time to have a mini-prayer retreat to help you develop five spiritual goals for your life. (If you have a goal defined, you are more apt to accomplish it.)
To grow in your spiritual relationship with Jesus, you need to seek His will for your life.
Begin your retreat by asking Jesus to help you to seek Him with all your heart. Ask Him to help you understand which goals are his will for your life. Possible goals include:
To read through the Bible.
To have a daily time of prayer.
To become a prayer warrior.
To really study the Bible.
To be more giving of my time to the church.
To be more helpful in the care and maintenance of my church.
To learn how to serve others.
To be more giving financially
To make myself available to people who need help.
To join the choir.
To teach a Home Bible Study.
To be bolder and witness more.
To encourage people with what I say rather than discourage.
To be a kinder person.
To make myself available to be used in the Spiritual gifts.
To be more positive and exhibit more faith.
Read through these scriptures Jeremiah 29:11-13
Psalms 53:2 Matthew 6:33
Psalms 40:8 Hebrews 11:6
Psalms 143:10 John 5:30
Matthew 6:9-10 Proverbs 8:17
Psalms 119: 2 & 45 Psalms 105:3
In your prayer time, ask the Lord, “Lord, what is your will for my life? What are five things that you would have me do, or change in my life?
Pray through the Prayer of Jabez: I Chronicles 4:10